Sausage and Pepper Frittata
A recipe from Create Cooking Challenge 2017 winner Buki Elegbede.
1 tablespoon olive oil
8 ounces sausage (without casing)
1 Yukon Gold potatoes cubed (¼ of an inch)
1 red bell pepper diced
1 yellow bell pepper diced
¼ cup diced onion
8 extra-large eggs
15 ounces ricotta cheese
½ cup Pecorino Romano or Gruyere cheese
4 tablespoons unsalted butter melted and cooled
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
½ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
¼ cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Brown sausage in olive oil in a 10-inch ovenproof pan over medium-low heat.
3. Remove browned sausage to a paper towel to drain.
4. Remove most of the fat from the pan and leave 1 tablespoon.
5. Add the potatoes, onions, peppers and sauté until brown, turning sparingly, about 10 to 15 minutes.
6. Melt the 4 tablespoons of butter in a small dish in the microwave.
7. Meanwhile, whisk the eggs, then stir in the ricotta, pecorino, melted butter, salt, pepper, and basil. Add melted butter to the mixture.
8. Sprinkle on the flour and baking powder and stir into the egg mixture.
9. Pour the egg mixture over the potatoes and place the pan in the center of the oven.
10. Bake the frittata until it is browned and puffed, 50 minutes to 1 hour.
11. It will be rounded and firm in the middle and a knife inserted in the frittata should come out clean.