Jaime Isobe's Miso Rice Salad
Create Cooking Challenge 2016 winner Jaime Isobe shares his recipe for miso rice salad, a dish meat-loving and vegetable-loving friends can both agree on.
Ingredients for the rice
3 cups Japanese or Carolina medium white rice
4 ˝ cups or more of vegetable or chicken stock
Ingredients for the salad
˝ cup vegetable oil
3 TBSP red miso paste
4 TBSP white vinegar
4 TBSP prepared yellow mustard
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
˝ cup assorted diced olives
1 ˝ cups celery, diced
⅔ cup pickles, diced
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
˝ cup roasted red peppers, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup full fat mayonnaise
Instructions for the rice
1. Rinse 3 cups of rice until the water runs clear.
2. Place the rice in a heavy bottom saucepan and add in the correct amount of the vegetable or chicken stock according to the package directions.
3. Bring to the simmer over high heat stirring occasionally.
4. Once to the simmer, cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 23 minutes. Do not lift the lid.
5. After the 23 minutes is up, turn off the heat and let it stand for 10 minutes.
6. Fluff the rice with a fork.
Instructions for the salad
1. Whisk together the vegetable oil, red miso paste, white vinegar, yellow mustard, and black pepper.
2. Add the hot rice to a large mixing bowl, pour over the miso sauce, and toss to combine. Let cool to room temperature.
3. Once at room temperature, add in the olives, celery, pickles, cherry tomatoes, roasted red peppers, onion and mayonnaise. (You can adjust the amount of mayonnaise to suit your tastes.) Toss to combine and chill.
4. Once cold, taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper.
5. Serve on a bed of romaine lettuce.