Buki’s Get Up n’ Go Bars
A recipe from Create Cooking Challenge 2017 winner Buki Elegbede.
2 cups old-fashioned oatmeal
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
½ cup toasted wheat germ
3 tablespoons coconut oil
⅔ cup honey
¼ cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
1½ teaspoons pure vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
½ cup chopped crystalized ginger
½ cup chopped dried cherries
½ cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Butter a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and line it with parchment paper.
3. Toss the oatmeal, sunflower seeds, and coconut together on a sheet pan and bake for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned.
4. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and stir in the wheat germ.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F.
6. Place the coconut oil, honey, brown sugar, vanilla, and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for a minute, then pour over the toasted oatmeal mixture.
7. Add the ginger, cranberries, and cherries and stir well.
8. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan.
9. Wet your fingers and lightly press the mixture evenly into the pan.
10. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, until light golden brown.
11. Cool for at least 2 to 3 hours before cutting into squares. Wrap tightly and serve at room temperature.