Seven Secrets To A Stress-Free Thanksgiving Dinnerfrom Christy Rost
Christy Rost’s Seven Secrets To A Stress-Free Thanksgiving Dinner
1. Plan the menu one week in advance – scan store ads to take advantage of sales and special offers.
2. Delegate – ask guests to bring a side dish or dessert.
3. Check linens for stains one week in advance – soak stained linens 2-3 days in a solution of ¼ cup laundry detergent in a sink full of cold water.
4. Set the table 3-4 days ahead – this is the time to bring out the good china, crystal, and flatware that are tucked in the back of cupboards.
5. Allow 3 days for a 20-pound turkey to completely defrost in the refrigerator.
6. Bake cornbread for the dressing, and prepare pies and breads the day before Thanksgiving. Chop celery and onions for the dressing, store them in plastic zipper bags, and chill overnight.
7. Clean the turkey Thanksgiving morning, assemble the dressing, and prepare vegetable side dishes so everything is ready to pop into the oven at the proper time.