Mushroom Crępesfrom Karen MacNeil
For the Crępe Batter (makes 6 crępes):
1 large egg
˝ cup milk
pinch of sea salt
2 rounded tablespoons unbleached flour
3˝ tablespoons butter (slightly less than ˝ stick)
butter and oil
For the Duxelles (makes 2 cups):
3 tablespoons butter
1 pound mushrooms, finely chopped
3 tablespoons finely minced shallots
˝ teaspoon lemon juice
˝ teaspoon sea salt
ź teaspoon freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
To Prepare the Crępes:
- Break the egg into a mixing bowl and beat thoroughly with a wire whisk. Add the milk and salt, whisking well.
- Add the flour and incorporate completely.
- Heat the butter in a small saucepan until the butter is lightly browned and add to the batter while whisking. Allow the batter to rest in the refrigerator for 1 hour before using.
- The consistency of the batter is important as the resulting crępes should be very thin. If the batter is too thick and spreads unevenly, add a little more milk. If the batter is too thin, the crępes will have many small holes; add a little more flour.
- Use a heavy 6-7 inch iron skillet with sloping sides to fry the crępes. The French use a classic crępe pan which, like their omelet pan, is dedicated to that single use.
- Place the crępe pan over high heat and add a small amount of butter and oil, just enough to coat the bottom of the pan. When the butter begins to brown, remove the pan from the heat and ladle about 2 tablespoons of batter into the pan; tilt the pan quickly to evenly coat the bottom with the batter. The crępe should be very thin, so it is important to use only enough batter to coat the bottom of the pan.
- Place the pan back over high heat and cook for approximately 1 minute or until nicely browned. Turn with a spatula and fry for another ˝ minute or until brown. Turn the crępe out onto a plate and repeat until the desired number are made.
- Allow each crępe to cool before stacking. Crępes may be prepared ahead and refrigerated before using.
NOTE: With a little practice you will be able to use several skillets at one time and turn the crępes by flipping the pans and tossing.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter, add the mushrooms, shallots, and lemon juice, and reduce over high heat until mushroom moisture evaporates.
- Add salt, pepper, and heavy cream and remove from heat.
- Place a crępe in the center of each of six warm serving plates.
- Divide the warm duxelles and place in the center of each crępe. Fold the crępe over the duxelles. Serve immediately.