Top Ten Tips For Restoring Historic Homesby Christy Rost
as seen on Home for Christy Rost: Thanksgiving, A
Christy And Randy Rost’s
Top Ten Tips For Restoring Historic Homes
1. Plan, plan, plan – make mistakes on paper before picking up your tools.
2. Visit the local building and inspections office – learn the requirements and applicable building codes.
3. Set a realistic budget, but be prepared for unexpected expenses.
4. Interview multiple contractors, check references, and see examples of their work whenever possible.
5. Be involved – time spent on the job site helps to avoid unpleasant surprises.
6. Be flexible – changes may be necessary as construction gets underway and things are uncovered.
7. Save money – do some of the work yourself.
8. Shop the sales – investigate retail and online sources.
9. Use restoration catalogs – a good source of ideas and hard-to-find items.
10. Mix old and new – bring your home up to 21st century standards while preserving historic and architectural features.