Ming says: If there's one food that crosses boundaries, it's barbeque sauce. People everywhere, east and west, use barbeque sauces to boost the flavor in all kinds of meats and vegetables. My master recipe for Asian Barbeque Sauce combines the best flavors from around the world.
Makes about 4 cups
· 2 tablespoons minced garlic
· 1 tablespoon minced ginger
· 2 red onions, 1/2-inch dice
· 2 tablespoons sambal
· 2 cups hoisin paste
· 1 cup drained, whole Napoli tomatoes
· 1/2 cup fresh lime juice
· Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
· Canola or grapeseed oil for cooking
In a saucepan coated lightly with oil over high heat, cook the garlic, ginger and onions and sweat until soft, about 5 minutes. Add sambal, hoisin and tomatoes. Add lime juice and season with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Check for flavor and re-season if necessary. Simmer until reduced by 10%, then transfer to a blender and blend at high speed until smooth. When room temperature, store in an airtight jar.